[Wikipedia-l] Spanish Wikipedia

Vicki Rosenzweig vr at redbird.org
Tue Oct 1 13:36:30 UTC 2002

At 09:15 AM 10/1/02 +0100, Tarquin wrote:

>Personally, I would prefer that thinks with direct links from a Wikipedia
>site be *also* called "Wikipedia", or some derivation of it, such as the
>Esperanto Vikipedio.
>The point was raised that in Spanish, "wiki" is an unnatural foreign word.
>Since it's Hawaiian, I would say it's pretty unnatural & foreign-sounding
>in English too.
Not really: the phonemes are plausible in English, and the letters are
letters we
use all the time. In Spanish, "w" and "k" say "this is a foreign word".
Now, if we'd
borrowed from (say) a Mexican language and come up with something like
"Tloucixpedia", that would look and feel un-English.

I wonder if "Huiquipedia" would be more familiar and comfortable to native
speakers of Spanish.
--
Vicki Rosenzweig
vr at redbird.org