[Wikipedia-l] Metacomments

Axel Boldt axelboldt at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 1 17:15:08 UTC 2002

I don't like metacomments, especially if they are personalized like "I
will add this later" or "Add the date if you know it", "if you are from
London, join in", etc.

I think that in rare circumstances, they can be useful to the reader
though. When I write about a topic and I know that I omitted a major
aspect of it, because I ran out of time or I don't know enough, then I
sometimes add a metacomment to the article, informing the reader of the
omission. That way, they won't walk away thinking they got the full
story. It's just a matter of  honesty in that case, and it's especially
important if people want to use the article as reference material.

Axel