[Wikipedia-l] Spanish Wikipedia

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Tue Oct 1 08:15:30 UTC 2002

Magnus Manske wrote:

> My two cents on the whole discussion:
>
> 1. Why can't we just talk to them (EL) in English? I'm pretty sure
> most of the people speak at least limited English (would be hard being
> on the Internet otherwise;) Just say "sorry, my Spanish isn't good
> enough for that".

That is a very US-centric  attitute (or English-centric, your pick).
There are whole swathes of the internet which don't speak English.
And you've inadvertently demonstrated one of the reasons they split from
the main Wikipedia site.

I'm in favour of some sort of un-forking.
There's no point in a duplication of effort between EL and es:wikipedia.

Personally, I would prefer that thinks with direct links from a
Wikipedia site be *also* called "Wikipedia", or some derivation of it,
such as the Esperanto Vikipedio.
The point was raised that in Spanish, "wiki" is an unnatural foreign
word. Since it's Hawaiian, I would say it's pretty unnatural &
foreign-sounding in English too.