Offensive usernames (was: Re: [Wikipedia-l] The poor, tired, windshield police...)

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Wed Nov 13 10:46:30 UTC 2002

Christopher Mahan wrote:

> Mike Irwin wrote:
>   Having Fucking Asshole and Throbbing Monster Cock
> in use as accounts names and spread throughout the
> Wikipedia greatly limits the appeal and utility of
> the database and site for a lot of potential users.

Agreed. We have already lost Isis because of this. Let's agree on policy
& then a) removed "Fucking Asshole" (it was Ed making a point, wasn't
it?) and b) insist "Throbbing Monster Cock" choose a different name

> My reply:
>
> Could pages be rated for maturity and the appropriate rating meta tag
> be inserted into the page header for childproofing software?

I don't see a problem in a page like "fuck" -- it discusses the
etymology, history and suitability of a word which a child can find in a
dictionary (and hear on television).
I would much rather a child, on hearing the word, went to look it up on
wikipedia to rather than mindlessly repeat it.