[Wikipedia-l] Refactoring of Naming, Projects, etc

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 31 03:41:51 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 12:01 pm, you wrote:
> I volunteered ages ago to try & reorganise naming conventions, and tie
> them in with things like presentation conventions, Wiki Projects and
> "basic topic" pages.
> I'm still mulling it over, and I'e got to the point where I'd like to
> start laying out ideas.
> There's no way this can be cleanly refactored overnight, so I'm thinking
> of using the Meta wiki, to first set out a page scheme and then start
> refactoring. That way "normal service" (!) won't be disturbed on the
> wikipedia: namespace.
> Any objections if I discreetly set up in a corner of MetaWikipedia?
>
> tarquin

If you are planning on doing major work then I also suggest that you do as
Lee indicated and make a /Temp page so that everybody can monitor the process
and help out easily (especially me since I promised to do the exact same
thing). However, if you are doing work that will not really leave the page
looking incomplete or messy during the process then I say we just un-protect
the page and let you go at it (I can't remember, are your a sysop? We have so
many now...).

Aside....

Frankly, I really don't know why we still have a metapedia -- it is mainly a
repository of junk from the main site and has never really served its
intended purpose of meta discussion, random chit chat about the project and
working on projects.

In my opinion having two separate RecentChanges for Wikipedia and Metapedia
is why activity is comatose on the meta. But then I would be uncomfortable
about having something like a meta namespace unless the display of meta pages
in RecentChanges were turned off by default for users -- we are first an
encyclopedia not a social club.

--mav