[Wikipedia-l] Sysop status

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 31 03:08:06 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 10:18 am, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to apply for sysop status and mailed Jimbo Wales, as mentioned on
> the page concerning the topic; he referred me to the list, however. Can any
> of you sysops judge if my "application" is valid? And then also fix the
> page concerning the topic?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeroen Heijmans

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 10:18 am, you wrote:
> I, too, would like to apply for sysop status if I am eligible.
>
> Danny

I say Jeroen and Danny would make a great sysops. However I know Jeroen used
to use the "vote for deletion" feature of phase II Pedia Wiki a lot and at
least several of the entries submitted had to be removed from the deletion
queue as not being valid for administrative removal. But I still trust that
Jeroen will /not/ abuse the delete page sysop feature and when there is /any/
question that a page should be removed that that page be first placed on the
vote for deletion page for a day or two -- which is the general policy anyway.

Unfortunately, LDC never got around to porting the promote/demote feature of
Phase II to Phase III, so Jimbo (possibly a developer) will have to promote
you two. I'm sure nobody will object to your promotion.

Again I would like to restate my proposal to have an 'old hand' status that
would allow users that have been around a while and are generally trusted to
move pages and edit protected pages. Not everyone wants to have to keep up
with the mailing list or have the burden of being seen as some type of cop
just to have the ability to do stuff like moving pages or editing the Front
Page. These things can't really be entrusted to totally green users that
signed-up 5 minutes before and are totally unaware of our editing policies
and naming conventions but I see no reason to deny this to longtime users.

Aside.... Is the name "Pedia Wiki" used anymore? Or does our wikiware have no
name? :-(

--mav