[Wikipedia-l] Kaji: Please undelete bobine120.jpg

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Thu Jul 25 09:59:30 UTC 2002

lcrocker at nupedia.com wrote:
 >Karen AKA Kajikit <kaji at labyrinth.net.au> wrote:
>>It seems to me that the 'orpan' list as it stands is useless
>>because it doesn't track references to the image by direct url
>>in the english wikipedia, and it doesn't track ANY reference to
>>the image in any other wikipedia either...
>
> I agree; the "orphaned image" list is useless, and in any case I
> don't see that much of a problem with a useful image that isn't
> currently linked to an article, especially if it is known that it
> is in fact free--and image is, in a sense, an article in its own
> right.

I disagree; it's not "useless", it's just of certain limited use -- like
everything else.

An image's being on the list doesn't guarantee that it isn't used
somewhere (on the English wiki via a click-link to the URL, or on other
language wikis), nor does it guarantee that it shouldn't be used in the
future. What it _does_ do is to narrow down a 'short list' of things
that _might_ be not being used.

Like the article orphans page it lists things that _might_ be junk to be
deleted, or _might_ be useful stuff that should be further linked to.
It's a starting point for further investigation, not a deletion list.

> I'll make a note on the orphaned image page to that effect.

Here I agree wholeheartedly.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)