[Wikipedia-l] "Email this user" function

wojtek pobratyn wojtek.pobratyn at gmx.net
Thu Jul 11 10:20:01 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: <lcrocker at nupedia.com>
To: <wikipedia-l at nupedia.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 11:11 AM
Subject: [Wikipedia-l] "Email this user" function

| One of the post-live features I'd like to implement is a link on User
| pages for "email this user", which will produce a form that can be
| used to send email to the user without actually revealing the email
| address, for those times when you want to talk to someone directly who
| may not be active on the list or follow the talk pages.  This will
| also help reduce the clutter on talk pages.

I think it's a great idea. I could take my address of my user page
and stop it from being harvested my malicious bots.

| I'd like to get a sense from the community what privacy issues or
| other issues there are in implementing such a feature.  We may want to
| have a user setting for "don't allow email" or something, though I
| personally would rather not have that feature, and I definitely want
| it turned off for sysops (a working, responsive email address is the
| single most important qualification for a sysop as far as I'm
| concerned, although I suppose active participation on the mailing list
| might be an acceptable alternative).

Since the code does not verify email addresses on sign-up anyway
I don't think this is such a big issue. The traffic generated would be
minimal anyway and should anyone feel annoyed they could just change
their address in their user prefs to eg. foo at whatever.ac

| I'd also like to brainstorm a bit on how to raise the visibility of
| the mailing list.

Well we should somehow bring [[Wikipedia_Announcements]] back
to life. The last entry is from May 17!!

regards,
[[user:WojPob]]