[Wikipedia-l] 1911encyclopedia.org copyright nonsense

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 5 06:30:44 UTC 2002

To my mild shock, I have just read a copyright notice at 1911encyclopedia.org:

".....
Use on Other Web Sites.  The Contents are licensed only for the personal,
household, educational use by a single individual.  Reproducing Content on
another site or redistributing Content is forbidden. Taking Content from this
site and editing it and posting it on another site is also forbidden. Framing
of this site is forbidden.
......"

Full text: http://www.1911ency.org/legal.htm

Sound familiar (esp. the editing part)? Should we de-list this resource from
[[wikipedia:Public domain resources]] and only use the very incomplete
Project Gutenberg or should we risk an expensive lawsuit by PageWise? I know
their claim is almost certainly bull sh*t, but our blatant use of their
material nontheless would probably be enough to start expensive legal
proceedings.

<sarcasm>They did modify the public domain info by introducing OCR errors, in
effect creating a derivative work.</sarcasm>

Companies that do wholesale copies of public domain material and then slap an
onerous copyright onto the unimproved text make me sick.

--maveric149