[Wikipedia-l] Moving commentary out of Wikipedia

Simon Kissane sj_kissane at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 07:06:27 UTC 2001

I don't really think the idea of moving commentary out
of Wikipedia will work. The problem is that no hard
line can be drawn between "policy discussion" and
"discussion about the articles". It is easy for a
discussion about "what belongs in this article" to
degenerate into "what is wikipedia's policy on this
matter" to "is wikipedia's policy a good idea".

Again, if you propose to keep "official policy pages"
in Wikipedia, then people will want to comment on them
-- suggest additions or clarifications, or disagree
with the policies themselves. The most natural place
for them to do so would be [[Wikipedia
policy/Talk]]... And you wouldn't want to get rid of
[[Wikipedia policy/Talk]], because what if they are
only asking questions like "can anyone think of a way
of making the third paragraph clearer... i have
trouble understanding it", which really do belong in
[[Wikipedia policy/Talk]], not on "metawikipedia"...

With all due respect, I think Larry is overeacting to
some recent disputes. Cutting all commentary out of
Wikipedia is IMHO too radical a response. I think the
solution here isn't structural change to Wikipedia,
its trying to resolve the disputes at issue. (Which I
don't think any of those involved, myself included,
have done good enough a job of trying to resolve.)

Simon J Kissane