[Wikipedia-l] Moving commentary out of Wikipedia

Tim Chambers tbchambers at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 22:19:57 UTC 2001

--- Simon Kissane <sj_kissane at yahoo.com> wrote:
> ...With all due respect, I think Larry is overeacting to
> some recent disputes...

He also pointed out that RecentChanges was getting too cluttered with
changes ''not'' directly related to encyclopedia content.

The key reason I'm on board with Larry's proposal is because I think
RecentChanges on Wikipedia should show ''only'' changes to articles
and Talk ''about'' articles and ''no'' changes and talk about
meta-wikipedia issues.  The only way to do that is to push
meta-discussions completely out of the Wikipedia.

In another message, Simon wrote:
> ... why not have a vote on it?

I do not support this call for a vote; however, we ''do'' need enough
Wikipedians to unequivocally get behind a course of action (or to say
they want to take no action) so that the whole community can see that
consensus has been reached.

And so here's my declaration. I am in favor of creating a wiki based
on Magnus' PHP software at http://meta.wikipedia.com/ that hosts all
meta-discussions (commentary, personal pages, etc.).

When the metapedia comes online, I will do my part to move commentary
from www.wikipedia.com to meta.wikipedia.com and to keep it there.