[Wikimediaindia-l] IEP Pilot - Preliminary Analysis

Vickram Crishna vvcrishna at radiophony.com
Mon Nov 28 11:50:58 UTC 2011

Assuming this question is not restricted for WMF outreachers only:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Nitika <ntandon at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> > How many students edited articles outside of their in-class assignments?
>
> This is an interesting and non-trivial question. Which prompts me to
> ask - why would you want to track this ?
>
> It is quite possible that many students get conditioned to look at school
assignments as 'work', and either try and avoid doing any work outside of
the amount specifically committed, or avoid doing anything considered as
work outside of the time allotted for 'work'.

As a corollary, although I do not fancy that Wikimedia is attempting to
directly change the way that our education system works in practice,
students who treat contributing to Wikipedia/Wikimedia as 'fun' may be
better tuned to handling life tasks better/more responsibly in the future.

Lots of imponderables, I know, but there must be something measurable
between students who emerge from school having learned something (and
continue to learn happily) and those who only get through examinations.

--
Vickram
Fool On The Hill <http://communicall.wordpress.com>