[Wikimediaindia-l] Delhi Chapter (User:AroundTheGlobe)

Ravishankar ravidreams at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 06:48:34 UTC 2011

Hi Mayur,

Not Only Chapter But also Foundation Activities are Totally Focused towards
> South India.WE are not Blaming the chapter for this but A New Chapter in New
> Delhi will make more Opportunity to grow Wikimedia movement in the Biggest
> Educational City of India which has been completely Ignored by the
> Foundation and the India Chapter as well.

Can you provide evidence / examples for this?

The chapter has just started with no significant program yet and needs more
time before it's activities could be analysed. So, saying the chapter is
biased towards south is not acceptable.

One reason that the foundation chose to have it's in office is to balance
it's presence in North India.

And the biggest program of the foundation till date is the campus
ambassadors program which is based in Pune. This can be thought as Central
or Western India but definitely not South India.

I understand that a backing of an organisation and local presence could be
of some help. But, please note that having an organisation is not the only
way to promote Wikimedia projects. In fact, much time could be lost in
organisational bureaucratic things which could be used for real Wikimedia
project development. Many of the Indic and global Wikimedia projects have
shown good growth purely based on individual / volunteer contribution in
their own capacity.

I am interested to know the problems faced by North Indian Wikimedia
communities and what all could be addressed without the involvement of
foundation / chapter and what steps have been taken so far regarding this.

Thanks,

ravi