[Wikimediaindia-l] Delhi Chapter

Bence Damokos bdamokos at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 16:52:52 UTC 2011

Hi Vibhi,

A chapter is not a goal in itself, it is more of a tool to facilitate
activities that require a legal body to perform them.
Therefore, I would encourage you to collect those 20 people around you and
start having meetups, little outreach events and so on. Once you feel, that
you need a legal body, or money, your needs would very likely be met by the
current legal bodies in the country.

Obviously, it might turn out to make the most sense to establish local
branches, but these  probably would not be independent from the local Indian
chapter already existing.

In sum, I encourage you to be active and  cooperate with the existing
communities in India to make the most of the multitude of possibilities and
the huge potential in community building and outreach. Setting up a new
independent Indian chapter at this point is probably not desirable, and
would probably not be approved by the WMF.

Best regards,
Bence