[Wikimediaindia-l] Supporting Outreach

Nitika ntandon at wikimedia.org
Tue Dec 20 05:46:31 UTC 2011

On 19-Dec-2011, at 9:50 PM, ansuman wrote:

> It would be great if we can produce a common standard Presentation/Brochure/Leaflet (name it whatever suits) which includes all the important point, "Why One should contribute to Wikipedia" from the repository.

That's one of the things I'd love to work on. In order to do successful outreach we need to have supportive documents that can be used and/or given away during the sessions. These documents need to be well thought and structured and should be inclusive of various aspects one needs to know about Wikipedia. In my opinion, a deck of documents that should be readily available to anyone who wants to do an outreach are:

1. Presentations. These presentation should be in different modules and the presenter should be able to choose a presentation from the deck depending upon the nature of the audience, topic of discussion during the session etc.
Basic introduction to Wikipedia
Editing basics
Why contribute to Wikipedia?
Neutral point of view
Notability
Manual of Style
Referencing
Avoiding copyright violations / plagiarism
Introduction to Wikimedia Commons

2. Leaflet/brochure that can be given away to the participants. These leaflets can also be used in other outreach programs: like exhibitions, trade fairs etc.

3. FAQs that can either be handed over to the participants in the session or can be mailed to them as a follow up.

We should make sure that each of these documents have just the right amount of information - too much of information can be confusing and too little information might not be sufficient for a newbie.

I'm sure we have made some of these documents in the past. We need to update them and collate them in a common place. I can track down some of the old documents pertaining to these topics and share it with you all. We can then collaboratively start working on this deck step-by-step. Please let me know if this sounds good or if you'd prefer to work on this in any other way?

Nitika