[Wikimediaindia-l] Narayam updates

Srikanth Lakshmanan srik.lak at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 08:04:34 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Attention : Indic communities using Narayam extension. Other Indic
communities which don't have Narayam please do read below, I have a note
for you too

As of now Malayalam,Tamil,Odiya,Sanskrit,Assamese,Sinhala communities use
Narayam. Narayam is also deployed on Commons. Most of the communities had
got the extension few months back, but there have
been consistent improvements / bug fixes. Looks like people are not aware
of those changes and started asking Shiju where can they know more.I am
writing on 2 major things that was done to Narayam recently because of the
bugs we(Tamil community) filed and fixes for them had caused an
overall impact.

Shortcut key on Mac :- Refer bug[1] for details, in summary the shortcut
key is now dynamic based on browser / OS combination so that the shortcut
works. Control+G is new shortcut on Mac largely. This was done
during Hackathon. //Surprise surprise, more Indic users on mac :)

Beta maps :- Refer bug[2] for details, in summary, if you have seen more
input methods previously and started seeing lesser methods in last couple
of days, its probably because of this. We did not want untested keyboard
mappings live on WikiProjects. Beta maps will enable people to test newly
added maps(bunch of inscript maps were added as part of Hackathon /
Translation sprint) to be tested on translatewiki, only after a community
member certifies it, it will be seen in wikimedia sites. This was done last
week.

There are more bugs reported by others and the software keeps changing, so
If you want to follow Narayam in close detail, subscribe to the feed[3].

i18n team,
Some of us know, you push i18n patches every Monday. Can you also give a
feed for recent changes in patch *every week*, so we could see if something
relevant to us changed in the patch and test so that we may not miss any
regression caused and be quick to report issues. I know wikitech wiki has
the logs somewhere on deployment(forgot now), but a plain text feed will
help and save much time for many folks.

To those communities who have not taken up Narayam and use old javascript
solution :-
The Javascript solution is not an ideal one now, though it served the
purpose when it was built. Narayam is supported better / technically
superior and as an extension is fairly stable. Unlike webfonts, Narayam
will be deployed only if someone asks for and that should be the way..You
can test through http://translatewiki.net report bugs(Ideally
narayam  shouldn't have bugs since Junaid took the maps which already
existed in typing solution), get things fixed, call for
community consensus and getting them deployed. I also request Shiju (who
keeps interacting with various communities, to give a push on this to Indic
wikipedians)

To those communities which don't have any input method solution :-
Please invest some time, the returns are really great. Juniad / i18n team
will help you get Narayam.

[1] https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/31026
[2] https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/32768
[3]