[Wikimediaindia-l] Call for participation in IEEE P1908.1 Virtual Keyboard Standard development for Indic languages

Arjuna Rao Chavala arjunaraoc at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 00:42:20 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <
parakara.ghoda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Arjuna, while I don't really understand what is the ultimate aim, I
> sincerely hope that this will result in Indic support across mobile
> devices.

Indic support from rendering and input method point of view is currently
available on some mobile devices. Some virtual keyboards are using phonetic
approach which use English keyboard. Some others are following an adhoc
modification to INSCRIPT. There are some vendors with  patented solutions
for 12 key interface. But there is no standard of virtual keyboard  for
touch interface, which makes it easy even for a class 1 student of indic
language to type his name for example. This initiative is aimed at bridging
that gap.  Once the standard is approved,  indic support in a standardized
way should be available on most smart phones and tablets. Since it will be
packaged as mobile app, it can be deployed on even older version of smart
phones with touch interface.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Arjun