[Wikimediaindia-l] Call for participation in IEEE P1908.1 Virtual Keyboard Standard development for Indic languages

Tue Dec 13 04:09:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan
<parakara.ghoda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Arjuna, while I don't really understand what is the ultimate aim, I
> sincerely hope that this will result in Indic support across mobile
> devices.

Traditionally, on the desktop devices, Indic support has generally
meant the ability to do the following:

- display/render
- print
- input

The underlying software architecture, which is fashionably called the
"plumbing", has been present and keeps lock-step with the currently
available and published standards and specifications.

Input forms an interesting aspect because of the diverse nature of
possibilities provided and requested - an example could be the variety
of the keyboard layouts available. While a myriad variety in the
keyboard layouts is possible on a standard physical keyboard
(hardware), such variety is a bit difficult to attain on the mobile
device hardware having an actual physical keyboard. Even in the case
of mobile devices with an on-screen keyboard, the ability to
standardize on a specific set of layouts, based on various factors
(eg. computation of the highest used key combinations) would be of
immense use.

At this stage, the only aspect I'd request to be made clear is how
does one participate in the effort. For example, reading through the
current list of participants I don't see Google (as an example). It
would be nicer to have distributions participate because they allow
the quickest path to reference implementation of standards.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog>