[Wikimediaindia-l] Fwd: Re: [Foundation-l] Indian Minister Kapil Sibal wants to censor social media

Achal Prabhala aprabhala at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 06:36:15 UTC 2011

fyi

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [Foundation-l] Indian Minister Kapil Sibal Wants to Censor
social
Date: 	Wed, 07 Dec 2011 12:02:10 +0530
From: 	Achal Prabhala <aprabhala at gmail.com>

Some updates on this, for anyone interested:

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/any-normal-human-being-would-be-offended/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/facebook-google-tell-india-they-wont-screen-for-derogatory-content/2011/12/06/gIQAUo59YO_blog.html

http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/2011/12/06/indias-dreams-of-web-censorship/#axzz1fpN86lWI

http://www.legallyindia.com/201112072434/Regulatory/kapil-sibal-to-sterilise-net-but-cis-sting-shows-6-out-of-7-websites-already-trigger-happy-to-censor-content-under-chilling-it-act

http://www.livemint.com/2011/12/06130244/Govt-wants-to-scrub-the-Intern.html

There's still no clarity on what Kapil Sibal meant/means; whether he's
serious; and the rules of the proposed IT act are still worrying; but at
least the outcry is now entrenched.