[Wikimediaindia-l] Cricket articles on Marathi Wikipedia, other meaningless inflation of article counts

Shiju Alex shijualexonline at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 07:05:42 UTC 2010

I think you need to have a look at Hindi and Nepal basha (newari) wikipedias
also.

Some time back (2 years before) I pointed out this issue in this mailing
list itself. (
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/2008-January/000092.html
)

All the top 5 language wikipedias that I mentioned in this statistical
report
<http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B4hBi4hJ-5mnZmMxYzFhNTYtZWU5Yy00ZTAwLTliZDItMWJiZGI5MGUxZGQ2&hl=en>are
following the same strategy to increase the article count. It is really sad
to see that even Hindi wikipedia, which has the maximum user base among all
the other Indian languages, is also following this same method to increase
the article count. (Hindi wikipedia was having 30,000 artcles on June 2009.
But now it has more than 50,000.  But  the active users in that wiki is
still less than that of Tamil or Malayalam wiki.

We can easily make out the quality of the articles in a wiki  if you look at
the parameters *bytes per article* and *articles with size more than 2000
bytes*.

The fact that all these thousands (or ten thousands) of one-liners are
created by one or two admins (or some bots) of that wikipedia is really
alarming. The very purpose of wiki software and collaborative authoring fail
there. These type of users are killing their wiki projects and *prevent any
potential new users* to start editing in that wiki.

Readers will not get any benefit from these type of wikis. They still need
to go to English wiki for some good/fruit information about any topic.

Shiju