[Wikimediaindia-l] Lower user and edit count of some Indian wikis

Shiju Alex shijualexonline at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 04:22:06 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am from Malayalam Wikipedia. Since you have mentioned about Malyalam
wikipedia I would like to discuss some thing about the article count race
(Indian language wikipedias in particular).

   - Creating thosands of short pages like this
   http://mr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=%E0%A4%B5%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%B6%E0%A5%87%E0%A4%B7:Shortpages&limit=1000&offset=0
   - Or orphaned pages like this
   http://mr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=%E0%A4%B5%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%B6%E0%A5%87%E0%A4%B7:Lonelypages&limit=1000&offset=0
   - Or copying content from english wikipedia like this
   http://te.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B0%AA%E0%B0%A6%E0%B0%BF

for the sake of increasing the number of articles in a wiki will not
increase the quality of a wikipedia or will not do any thing good for the
language also.

If we would have adopted one of the above techiques we would have been well
ahead in the number of articles, since malayalam wikipedia has the maximum
number of registered users among all the indian language wikipedias (More
than *4400*).

Please go through the various quality parameters listed in
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias, for an understanding
about various indian langauage wikipedias.

Regards

Shiju Alex

http://ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Shijualex