[Wikimediaindia-l] Philosophical view on Google translated articles

Manish Goregaokar manishsmail at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 19:12:14 UTC 2010

The reason for sending the mail was translation memories (Which I stupidly
forgot to put in)
An added benefit of the kit which I forgot to mention is that you can  use
translation memories<http://translate.google.com/support/toolkit/bin/answer.py?answer=147863&hl=en>.
In these, you can upload translations (In TMX
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translation_Memory_eXchange>format), which
take precedence over the default memories. This drastically improves
performance.
For example, you can upload a TMX file (I'm not sure how to make them--try
the Third-party
tools<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translation_Memory_eXchange#Third-party_tools>listed
at enwiki), which contains a correctly translated (Mistakes will get
greatly magnified) passage from English into Malyalam (Along with the
originally translated passage). Many such passages in the TM teach the Kit
to work better for those using the TM (Which can be shared).
Making TMs especially helps change the style/dialect of the translation.

Actually, I support completely hand-translated documents, because, when hand
translating, the translation flows out of you, alongwith the style. Editing
machine translations inhibits your mind and doesn't allow the use of style
except in spurts. I know this because I've tried translating stuff from
English to French (Not for WP, though), and I found the toolkit useful. but
I decided to stop and I typed the rest of it, using Google only as a
dictionary.
This might be the reason the translators don't want to use the Kit.
Manish*Earth* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Manishearth>Talk<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Manishearth>
 • Stalk <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Manishearth>