[Wikimediaindia-l] Malayalam Wikimedians meetup - 2010 April 17 - Kalamasseri, Ernakulam

Shiju Alex shijualexonline at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 03:55:36 UTC 2010

Hello WikiMedians,

With great pleasure let me inform you about the *Malayalam Wikimedia users
meetup*. Today *(2010  April 17)  Malayalam Wikimedians* are coming together
for the 3rd wikimeetup at RajaGiri College of Social Sciences, Kalamassery,
Ernakulam <http://www.rajagiri.edu/>. The first malayalam wikimeetup was
happened in 2007 Decemver 31, and the second meetup was in 2008 October 31.

We are extremely happy to inform you about some of the major things
happening as a part of this meetup.

1. *We are releasing a Malayalam Wikipedia CD* that contain 500 articles
selected from the 12,000 articles that were available in Malayalam Wikipedia
during 2010 March.

Please note that we are not releasing an offline version of malayalam wiki
articles. It is a customized version of articles very much similar to the
English Wikipedia on CD
(http://wikipediaondvd.com/).  We have provided many other additional
facilities/addons  that are applicable to Malayalam language on this CD. I
will provide you the link to download this CD after we release the CD at 3
PM Indian standard time.

With the release of this CD, we have become the first Indian language
WikiMdedia foundation Wiki releasing such a CD. Also, I assume that no other
non-latin languages tried this due to the number of technical hurdles that
need to over come while working with non-latin languages.

*We have developed a dedicated application (in GNU/Linux) for creating this
CD. *I will share you the details of this software as soon as it is
available for community development. I will write a separate mail regarding
the efforts that went behind the creation of this CD.

2.* We are setting up a new website for coordinating  the various activities
of Malayalam Wikimedians.* I will share the link soon. The CD version of
Malayalam Wikipedia will be avilable for download from this site later
today.

3. *We are releasing a printed book (in Malayalam language) that contain 25
frequently asked questions about Wiki, Wikipedia, and Malayalam Wikipedia. *I
think if this docuemnt is translated to English, many other Indian languages
can reuse it. Requeting the help of wikimedians to translate it to English
and available it to all. I will provide you the link to download this book
later today.

The production cost of CD and the book is sponsored by
IT at school<http://www.itschool.gov.in/>and the meetup is sponsored by
number of NGO's including
SPACE <http://www.space-kerala.org/>.

*We are trying for the live streaming of this event.* The link will be
provided as soon as it is available.

I will share more details about the meetup later today.

Regards

Shiju Alex