[Wikimediaau-l] Chapter Update Request :-)

Orderinchaos78 orderinchaos78 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 06:27:37 UTC 2008

2008/10/8 David Gerard <wikimediaau-l-request at lists.wikimedia.org>

2008/10/5 Orderinchaos78 <orderinchaos78 at gmail.com>:

> > Re concessions, perhaps a safe definition would be:
> > * Holder of a Centrelink Health Care Card.
> > - or -
> > * Full time student enrolment at a recognised Australian institution
> (high
> > school, TAFE, tertiary). For the most part people in this category will
> have
> > the Centrelink card but not all will (even though they're eligible)
> > That's worked for most of the organisations I've been associated with.
> > They're both pretty easy to prove, and the Health Care Card means we
> don't
> > need to worry about the reason for the card which is issued in a huge
> array
> > of categories.
>

> List that as requirements, certainly (and I'm sure people will alert
> the organisation to categories that have been missed) - but unless
> there's a legal reason to require it, I suggest just taking it on good
> faith of the applicant for now. People don't generally cheat on this
> stuff when it comes to charities. And more bureaucracy and paperwork =
> bad.

Totally agreed. I hope it was understood that the purpose of having such a
delineation is to help people decide whether they would be concessional or
not, rather than imposing bureaucratic and resource burdens on a fledgling
organisation. We pretty much then rely on people's honesty from that point,
and I agree with you that, especially since at present the stakes are
ridiculously low. As an example - when I joined a political party, I paid
the concessional rate and ticked the box, but noone ever asked for my health
care card (which I could produce to them on request, which I understand
would be the assumption).

It would require both resources and a notion of something being rorted to
actually require *presentation* of it. Might be useful to set a boundary
though if we get bigger and/or more is at stake.

cheers
Andrew