[Wikimedia-l] Copyright infringement - The real elephant in the room

Marco Chiesa chiesa.marco at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 11:26:19 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen a gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hoi
> I know several authors who publish and use their original text to publish
> on Wikipedia as well.. This is another source of false positives because
> they have the copyright to the original source... To recognise this you
> have to be even more sophisticated.

Actually, we consider these as copyvios, we delete the text straight away,
and we tell the editor "if you're the author write to OTRS". Of course, if
the text is already somewhere else under a compatible free-license, we
don't need this. Until you can't be sure that User:MrX is actually the
physical person MrX, we need to protect the author's right.

Marco