[Wikimedia-l] About the concentration of resources in SF (it was: "Communication plans for community engagement"

aude aude.wiki at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 16:02:55 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 1:57 AM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 2:39 PM, rupert THURNER
> <rupert.thurner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If WMF is serious about letting development activities grow in other
> > countries this might be taken into account in FDCs allocation policy.
>
> For my part, I'm happy to offer feedback to the FDC on plans related
> to the development of engineering capacity in FDC-funded
> organizations. I'm sure Wikimedia Germany, too, would be happy to
> share its experiences growing the Wikidata development team. I'd love
> to find ways to bootstrap more engineering capacity across the
> movement, as so many of our shared challenges have a software
> engineering component. If any folks on-list want to touch base on
> these questions at Wikimania, drop me a note. :)

Chapters undertaking technology work is definitely a good thing!

I can say personally, unofficially (as member of the wikidata team) that I
am definitely happier working in Berlin (with lower salary, that goes
pretty far), versus SF. I am not convinced I could afford same lifestyle in
SF on salary offered by WMF.

Could one afford to live on their own in a 1b apartment in SOMA on WMF
salary, which has median cost of $3,475 [1] a month? Or would I need have
flatmate or need to commute from farther away?

The rule of thumb is that one should not spend more than 30% of their
income (after tax!), and ideally smaller percentage than that.  That
requires $11,500 (after tax) salary, per month.

I can very easily live on my own in the best parts of Berlin, near the WMDE
office, or whatever I want. Just sayin' .... :)

I understand that lots of people like to live in SF anyway, even with
whatever sacrifices they must make to afford it.  And good that WMF offers
the remote work option.

[1] http://priceonomics.com/the-san-francisco-rent-explosion/

Cheers,
Katie