[Wikimedia-l] About the concentration of resources in SF (it was: "Communication plans for community engagement"

Balázs Viczián balazs.viczian at wikimedia.hu
Sat Jul 27 14:59:07 UTC 2013

Well, both Hungary and Budapest aims to be the R&D center of the region.
There are multiple government and munipal funds and programmes plus a lot
of favouring policies on both administrative levels, including a full
dedicated neighbourhood on the bank of the Danube, named Infopark (since
1996 [1])

Setting up a formally for-profit company who's only contractor would be the
WMF (and/or other chapters) in BP can be funded well over 50% from non
movement funds (or low/no interest loans) during the first few years and
would be much much cheaper than any parts of Western Europe and most of the
CEE. Doing so though WMHU or a separate non-profit way - probaly also
doable.

However having one such department for the sake of having one is a total
waste of time, money and efforts everywhere in the World, so the main
question is: are there enough projects that could make establishing such a
department/spearate entity reasonable?

Balázs

[1] http://www.infopark.hu/lang/en/