[Wikimedia-l] Communication plans for community engagement

Roan Kattouw roan.kattouw at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 00:59:17 UTC 2013

Nathan <nawrich at ...> writes:
> I think your anti-Americanism is misplaced. Let's look at some of the
> key people involved in the VisualEditor project. Erik is German, James
> F is British, Roan Kattouw is Dutch, Timo Tijhof is Dutch. If you were
> to skim the list of the engineering staff, they are extremely diverse,
> with many remote employees throughout Europe and a number of relocated
> Europeans (and others) working in San Francisco.

Fun fact: VisualEditor is a minority-American, majority-remote operation.

WMF's VisualEditor engineering team consists of:
* Trevor Parscal (SF office; from the US)
* Myself (SF office; from the Netherlands)
* Rob Moen (SF office; from the US)
* Timo Tijhof (remote from the Netherlands)
* Ed Sanders (remote from the UK)
* David Chen (remote from the UK)

Wikia's VisualEditor engineering team:
* Inez KorczyƄski (Wikia SF office; from Poland)
* Christian Williams (Wikia SF office; from the US)

The Parsoid engineering team:
* Gabriel Wicke (SF office; from Germany)
* Subbu Sastry (remote from the US; originally from India)
* C. Scott Ananian (remote from the US)
* Marc Ordinas i Llopis (remote from Spain)

Google Summer of Code students mentored by the VisualEditor team:
* Moriel Schottlender (remote from the US; originally from Israel)
* Jiabao Wu (remote from Australia)
* Tongbo Sui (remote from China)

In various product and community liaison/advocacy roles, we have:
* James Forrester (SF office; from the UK)
* Philippe Beaudette (SF office; from the US)
* Maggie Dennis (remote from the US)
* Oliver Keyes (remote from the UK)
* Guillaume Paumier (remote from France)
* Jan Eissfeldt (remote from Germany)
* Keegan Peterzell (remote from the US)
* Erica Litrente (remote from Italy)
* Patrick Earley (remote from Canada)
* Sherry Snyder (remote from the US)

(I attempted to list people in the order they joined each team. Things are
moving fast, so I may have missed people; if I did, I apologize.)

Total # of people: 25 (not all of whom are full-time or work on VisualEditor
full-time)
# originally from the US: 8 (32%)
# living in the US: 14 (56%)
# working from the SF office: 8 (32%)