[Wikimedia-l] Communication plans for community engagement

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Thu Jul 25 00:32:34 UTC 2013

* Nathan wrote:
>I think your anti-Americanism is misplaced. Let's look at some of the
>key people involved in the VisualEditor project. Erik is German, James
>F is British, Roan Kattouw is Dutch, Timo Tijhof is Dutch. If you were
>to skim the list of the engineering staff, they are extremely diverse,
>with many remote employees throughout Europe and a number of relocated
>Europeans (and others) working in San Francisco. So I think your
>implication that the VE is some element of arrogant American
>imperialism is false, and you should retract it so that others will
>continue to take your feedback seriously.

As I understand it, "anti-american" is a term people use to demonstrate
that they should be considered the polar opposite of "anti-american",
whatever that may mean. I do not recall having seen the term used to add
new information to a discussion. I do not see where the grandparent made
claims regarding the nationality of engineers working on Visual Editor,
or arrogant imperialism; I rather see an interpretation of the situation
that is well-founded and unsurprising.