[Wikimedia-l] Collaborative machine translation for Wikipedia -- proposed strategy

David Cuenca dacuetu at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 19:25:34 UTC 2013

After Erik's email about supporting open source machine translation [1],
I've been researching options and having talks with several machine
translation researchers about what would be the best way to integrate MT
into Wikipedia. Unfortunately I couldn't find a single solution that, on
its own, would fulfill all requirements (specially being open source). On
the plus side, there is a set of technologies that if integrated, they
could provide a positive and reliable experience. It would be a hard way to
get there, and even so, it might be worth exploring.

This is the preliminary draft:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Collaborative_Machine_Translation_for_Wikipedia

It is a shame that the talk about "Supporting translation of Wikipedia
content" [2] has not been accepted for WM13.
Hopefully there will be enough interest to discuss this topic there anyways.

Micru

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/65605
[2]
https://wikimania2013.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Supporting_translation_of_Wikipedia_content