[Wikimedia-l] the hidden toolbox

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 17:03:32 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki at gmail.com>wrote:

> The result so far seems to be only that everyone wants to escape from the
> toolbox, see e.g. <https://www.mediawiki.org/**
> wiki/Collection_Extension_2#**Wireframe_Layout_for_placing_**
> the_print_and_Collection_**extension_buttons<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Collection_Extension_2#Wireframe_Layout_for_placing_the_print_and_Collection_extension_buttons>>
> (which has also a wider rationale); monobook users stay where they are.

Naturally every link wants to escape from the toolbox, if it's collapsed
:-)
They were designed to be used, after all.

I also haven't seen any solid argument for collapsing any navboxes by
default (except perhaps those in the topnav which pop up on mouseover).

It removes a small % of links from the overall nav - roughly 7 out of 50 -
including some popular ones like upload-file.  It would be good to see
regular spot-checks of what sort of use the toolbox links get when
default-expanded vs. default-closed.  (and whether other sidebar links are
less used/useful)

SJ