[Wikimedia-l] the hidden toolbox

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 16:18:07 UTC 2012

Well, this was discussed at length in 2010 (one of the threads was
started by yourself): e.g.
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/45758
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/46089
The big question is still valid: just hiding what's found to be used
less makes no sense, we should rather measure if showing or moving
something increases impact with regard to our aims (which can be
difficult to define).
The result so far seems to be only that everyone wants to escape from
the toolbox, see e.g.
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Collection_Extension_2#Wireframe_Layout_for_placing_the_print_and_Collection_extension_buttons>
(which has also a wider rationale); monobook users stay where they are.
On the bright side, this is something the e3 team could shed some light
on at last?

Nemo