[Wikimedia-l] Who invoked "principle of least surprise" for the image filter?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Jun 21 18:22:25 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
>
>> Many images on Wikipedia have been taken without the subject's genuine
>> consent.  So surely that isn't the issue.
>
> Many are transferred to Commons from Flickr without the uploader's consent
> which, in the case of sexually explicit photos taken in a private location,
> should always be sought before doing the transfer.

Well, first of all, why?

Secondly, I'm not talking just about sexually explicit photos.
Wikipedia has photos of people being or about to be [[behead]]ed,
[[torture]]d, [[kidnap]]ped, [[assassination]]ed, etc.  I checked, and
there's no photograph of someone being [[rape]]d, just paintings, but
it's probably just a matter of time.