[Foundation-l] A Wikimedia sidebar box for wikipedia.org

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Sep 27 06:29:14 UTC 2006

On 9/26/06, Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:

> I've been involved with modifying the sidebar for en.wikibooks and
> en.wikiversity, so I do have a little experience with both doing the
> actual changes as well as trying to deal with gaining a concensus from a
> larger community over what sorts of things ought to go into
> modifications of this nature.

I think the best way forward, as per the discussion, is to first
launch a larger effort to improve the WMF site. We can then add a
sidebar to e.g. en.wp and see what the effects are; if we consider it
useful, we can add it to all wikis by Board resolution or Executive
decree, or leave it up to the communities to implement it.

Re: the WMF site, probably the easiest is to identify a set of pages
that we'd want in such a sidebar, then have an open editing &
translation period on Meta for these pages + copy the result pages to
WMF wiki. Thinking about the best way to do this, will follow up.

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.