[Foundation-l] A Wikimedia sidebar box for wikipedia.org

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Tue Sep 26 20:37:01 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:

>As you may know, MediaWiki:Sidebar supports defining little boxes that
>contain navigation links. de.wikipedia.org has used this to customize
>its sidebar, for example.
>
>Should we have a sidebar with the heading "Wikimedia" containing links
>to wikimediafoundation.org for things like:
>- About Wikimedia
>- Projects
>- Volunteer (info about committees, mailing lists, etc.)
>- Jobs (those we chooose to publicly advertise)
>- Chapter information
>
>This is partially a follow-up to my earlier mail re: sitenotice for
>chapters. I think this might be a slightly less aggressive way to
>raise awareness of chapters, sister projects, and the work of the
>Foundation in general.
>
>Thoughts?

This is a very interesting idea, and on the surface I don't have any
strong objection, other than trying to figure out how you are going to
reasonably implement this sidebar onto each and every project.

I've been involved with modifying the sidebar for en.wikibooks and
en.wikiversity, so I do have a little experience with both doing the
actual changes as well as trying to deal with gaining a concensus from a
larger community over what sorts of things ought to go into
modifications of this nature.  Generally speaking, as long as the links
prove to be of substantial value and are maintained, the community
reaction to these changes has been rather positive and supportive.

I would also strongly recommend that any general "Wikimedia" sidebar
changes ought to be at the very bottom of any other sidebar items for a
particular project.

A major concern about doing this is that you had better make sure that
in this situation, especially since these links will be on practically
each and every web page served up with Wikimedia servers, that the web
pages linked in this manner are very nearly "professional" quality and
have people who are willing to keep them fresh and updated regularly.
 There is nothing worse than a highly advertised link of this nature
that goes to what is essentially just a stub or something that is
horribly out of date.  Both of those have been criticisms of much of
what is found on http://wikimediafoundation.org

The other major issue I see is dealing with the multi-lingual issues
that are going to inevitably rear their head for this as well.  **IF**
there are related pages in the same language as the wikimedia project
that has this sidebar section being added, it would be reasonable to
include the link.  Otherwise, I would strongly recommend that you simply
remove the link altogether and for most languages link only to the
"About Wikimedia" page.  Do not link to the English language version of
the page as the "default" setting.  Of course this is just a recommendation.

--
Robert Scott Horning