[Wikimedia-Canada] Steering Committee

Gerald A geraldablists at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 18:21:32 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 12:34 PM, L.Gelauff <lgelauff at gmail.com> wrote:

> As I read from your email, you submitted already to the government?

I believe so.

> Somehow I must have missed something here. I realize that there have
> been some miscommunications in the past between Canadian wikimedians
> and the chapters committee, but the regular way to start up a chapter
> is by first going through chapcom and thén go through the government
> process. The chapters committee does not want to make your life hard,
> but would like to give input on bylaws and structures (we think we
> might have some experience in chapters that might come in use), and
> would like to give that input before you apply for incorporation to
> make it easier to process some possible changes.
>
> I have to admit that I am somewhat surprised by your move for
> incorporation, the chapters committee was not aware of that until I
> read the archives of this list (although we knew there was an interest
> in setting up a chapter). I hope that communications can be improved
> from here on, and that we can follow regular processes.

Well, it seems you aren't the only one surprised -- a number of list
members, including myself, weren't aware of the decision to submit the
paperwork to the government.

Now, I have to admit that putting together the basic by-laws to get the
chapter off of the ground seems to have been a stumbling block in the past,
and killed at least 2 attempts to get things off the ground. There is a
groundswell of support for doing some work with regards to Wikimedia
projects and goals, but to be honest the legal stuff is dull and boring, and
involves many fine details that are hard to be excited about.