[WikiEN-l] show index number in body of wiki page

Peter Coombe thewub.wiki at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 7 11:15:57 UTC 2012

On 7 October 2012 12:02, Gordon Stewart <gordonisnz at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Peter Coombe
> <thewub.wiki at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> My preferences > Appearance > Advanced options > Auto-number headings
>>
>> To set this on by default for anonymous and new users, add the
>> following to LocalSettings.php:
>> $wgDefaultUserOptions['numberheadings'] = 1;
>>
>> To change it for existing users, looks like you'll have to run
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:UserOptions.php
>
> Ah - So we can't set this on a per-page setting ? (wiki code ?)
>
> I'm able to edit / add  pages - But I'm not a system administrator &
> most of our pages do not need auto-numbering.
>
> (the page I'm looking at / wanting - is quite long, & lots of sections in it...)
>

> is there a place where we can add suggestions ? - could be useful on a
> per-page setting. IE "turnnumberson" command ?

There's an extension to do this on a per-page basis:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MagicNumberedHeadings
Doesn't seem to have been updated in a while, but it should still work.

Unfortunately if you can't install extensions, I think you're out of
luck. It would certainly be nice to have this functionality in core,
given that the user preference is a core feature.

Pete / the wub