[WikiEN-l] "Stocking personal details"

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 11:01:51 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 19 August 2012 10:54, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is quite wrong, and a dangerous fallacy to promote, Thomas. To give
> an
> > example, a few months back, German Wikipedian Achim Raschka got a phone
> > call from the German police over his addition of a pornographic video to
> > the German article on pornography. The video he added violated German
> > pornography law, which requires an effective age filter for explicit
> > pornographic material. Achim wrote about his experience in the "Kurier"
> > (the German Signpost):
>
> Achim lives in Germany, so is very much subject to German law. He's
> equally subject to German law if he edits the English Wikipedia,
> though. There is no connection between a particular language Wikipedia
> and the law of a country that speaks that language.

In actual practice, I don't believe this is entirely correct either. If
Achim had added the video to the Navajo Wikipedia, for example, rather than
the German Wikipedia, then I think the German prosecutor's office would
have been less likely to pursue the case in the interest of the German
people.

> The OP said that the French Wikipedia was illegal, not that
> contributing to Wikipedia while in France could be illegal. They are
> very different things.

Well, it's just that you made it sound like there could not possibly be any
legal problem, and that French law had no bearing on the matter at all.