[WikiEN-l] Nationality on the lead of articles

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 31 20:14:44 UTC 2011

Yeah, what about the whole issue of albanians, according to the rules mother
theresa was not albanian, but by birth ottoman empire or yugoslavian
something. There are many more examples.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Albanians

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Fences&Windows <
fences_and_windows at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> "I dread to think how many megabytes of discussion are spent on discussing
> nationalities."
>
> So why are you discussing it?
>
> Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:56:46 +0100
> From: Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>
> Subject: [WikiEN-l] Nationality in the lead of articles
> To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
>
> One thing that annoys me about some Wikipedia articles is the tendency
> for editors to argue over the nationality of a person in the biography
> article about them. The classic example is Copernicus, which has some
> justification in that there is sourced discussion of the history of an
> actual dispute (though the dispute was long after Copernicus). This
> kind of dispute was seen again in the John Michael Wright article that
> Scott MacDonald mentioned recently.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Michael_Wright
>
> The wording there is fine, but it can lead to convoluted writing, such
> as in the Descartes or Copernicus articles:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9_Descartes
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolaus_Copernicus
>
> "John Michael Wright (May 1617 ? July 1694)[2] was a portrait painter
> in the Baroque style. Described variously as English and Scottish"
> "Ren? Descartes [...] was a natural philosopher and writer who spent
> most of his adult life in the Dutch Republic"
>
> The current solution on the Copernicus article seems to be to omit
> mention altogether from the lead.
>
> I can't see any reason myself why Descartes can's simply be described
> in the lead as French. Go into detail later, yes, but people tend to
> be too sensitive about what is said in the lead and sometimes require
> too much detail in order to achieve precision and accuracy.
>
> Another one is Robert Boyle:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Boyle
>
> Again, the question of whether he should be described as Irish or
> British or Anglo-Irish (or whatever) is avoided in the lead. Extensive
> discussions have taken place on the talk page. But this is an example
> of an article where the rest of it should be improved, while
> resolutely ignoring the storm going on around that one small part of
> it. I dread to think how many megabytes of discussion are spent on
> discussing nationalities.
>
> Carcharoth

James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova and Albania flossk.org
flossal.org