[WikiEN-l] iCorrect

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 15:05:57 UTC 2011

On 28 March 2011 15:34, Scott MacDonald <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Geni, you are now being obtuse.
>
> Sometimes we publish false crap on people, sometimes we do it all on our
> own, and sometimes it's because we're following a source that is publishing
> falsehood.
>
> When a victim tries to get a correction, the whole deck is stacked against
> them. Edit Wikipedia and get hit with COI. E-mail OTRS and you're dealing
> with a non-editorial non-authority, who might not believe who you are, and
> probably won't accept your own testimony as other than worthless. Even if
> you convince the OTRS person, he might well get reverted by someone who
> can't see the e-mails.

However if OTRS can't it through we are dealing with a situation more
complex than setting the record strait

> Now, along comes another way of people setting the record straight, and you
> reject it because a) it doesn't comply with policy b) people may pay $1,000
> to impersonate someone c) you choose to be cynical about their identity
> checking d) it doesn't make sense to you.

The kind of people who might normally be expect to spend that kind of
amount on reputation management have better and cheaper options. So
the site would appear to be taking advantage of people who don't know
better.

It could well be argued that the ethical response on our part would be
to undercut them.

> The bottom line is that you are representative of the most cynical,
> irresponsible BLP attitudes on Wikipedia, and if we were serious about our
> responsibilities here, people with you cavalier attitude would be banned
> from BLPs, and BLP process, as a positive menace.

It has been suggested

--
geni