[WikiEN-l] Developer/Wiki relationship (was: Deployments today)

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 4 09:14:57 UTC 2011

> Development is being consciously moved to this model, because the devs
> have realised that repelling the volunteers is a bad idea.

That's *great* news!

> A lot of the community upset about every little thing is just "why
> wasn't I consulted?"  [1] Sometimes this is appropriate and
> reasonable, sometimes it really isn't.

I partially disagree here; the community are the people building Wikipedia -
so anything extensively modifying the social dynamics or interface is
something they are intimately interested in. To have it modified with
minimal notification.... I can understand why it leaves a bad taste in the
mouth of some.

Sure, whoever in this thread said "whatever discussion takes place someone
will always moan", but in this case it was basically announced "you;re
getting this new feature". It disgruntles editors that they appear to have
minimal input into what tools/changes the software gets.

I imagine this feeling is worse on the smaller projects who are desperate
for re-engineering of certain aspects of MW to suit their needs.

Tom