[WikiEN-l] Developer/Wiki relationship (was: Deployments today)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 12:43:36 UTC 2011

On 2 July 2011 13:01, Alec Conroy <alecmconroy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Editors fight because we throw them into an arena.   Arenas have lots
> of benefits, but they're a tad stressful for most.
> When we open up something that's not an arena, we'll get to keep the
> editors who like our mission but hate our bloodsport.

This is a marvellously concise summary of the problem.

(If you don't post this stuff to a blog, you should.)

> * Staff and devs should do as much of their work in public except in
> cases of SERIOUS, NO-CHOICE.  As much as possible, show emails, show
> code, show everything.   This will help the community understand
> what's happening, why it's happening, and how it came to happen.

Development is being consciously moved to this model, because the devs
have realised that repelling the volunteers is a bad idea.

A lot of the community upset about every little thing is just "why
wasn't I consulted?"  [1] Sometimes this is appropriate and
reasonable, sometimes it really isn't.

- d.

[1] http://www.ftrain.com/wwic.html