[WikiEN-l] Developer/Wiki relationship (was: Deployments today)

Ancient Apparition fridaesdoom at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 09:07:31 UTC 2011

This issue hasn't been raised in the past, I personally think talk pages are
a better medium of conversation, in an email only one person can help unless
the mesage is sent to a list, i.e. this list. We should be encouraging new
users to engage in talk page discussions, not emailing other users. IMO,
emails are only there for privacy, if a user wants help they should be
posting on the relevant noticeboard or talk page. Monobook is quite laggy
and ugly and a lot of the helpful user scripts aren't compatible with it,
but I digress.

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 5:47 PM, WereSpielChequers <
werespielchequers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Vector has "email this user" but only if you expand the toolbox. If
> newbies look for it under "Interaction" they won't find it. Personally
> I think that Emailing someone is more about interaction than it is a
> tool. But Monobook neatly sidesteps the issue by making it a clear
> choice in the sidebar rather than hidden away in dropdown menu.
>
> If we are going to implement the board resolution on Openness we
> should either upgrade Vector to make editing more open for newbies,
> switch the default back to monobook, or at least change the default
> setting for Appearances in Vector from " Enable collapsing of items in
> the navigation menu in Vector skin" being preticked to default to
> unticked. But we shouldn't rely on Newbies setting such an option
> themselves.
>
> WSC
>
> On 4 July 2011 06:50, Ancient Apparition <fridaesdoom at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Vector has it in the sidebar too, let's not forget Vector was modelled
> after
> > Monobook :P
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 4:41 AM, WereSpielChequers <
> > werespielchequers at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> This reminds me somewhat of the Vector rollout, I've just today come
> >> across another example of why we need to upgrade newbies to Monobook
> >> once they start editing. Monobook has a rather useful "Email this
> >> user" option in the sidebar. I suspect Vector has something hidden
> >> away in a dropdown menu, but if so I couldn't immediately find it and
> >> I was expecting it to be there. If one on one advice is indeed the
> >> best way for some newbies to learn, them Email is probably one of the
> >> better ways for newbies to get feedback.
> >>
> >> Another reason why we should at least test making Monobook the default
> >> for newby editors - no objections to it being the default for readers
> >> if they were the people it was designed for.
> >>
> >> WereSpielChequers
> >>

> > --
> > James

James