[WikiEN-l] Effect on the parser of large navboxes

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 18 00:37:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:58 PM, Aryeh Gregor
<Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> And I don't know how I ever missed this:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Overlink_crisis
>>
>> It really is worth reading all that essay and its talk page.
>
> Make sure you read the history too, where I removed all the bogus
> technical claims three different times over the span of a few months
> before giving up when Wikid77 re-added them a fourth time.

Ah, OK. I see. That essay should be userfied then, and I need to
retract what I said on his talk page.

The point made on the talk page here, though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Overlink_crisis#Implications_for_.27What_links_here.3F.27

...is exactly the point I've made in the past. Large navboxes
transcluded over many articles swamps 'what links here'. I did see the
parallel discussion on wikitech-l when David Gerard raised this
subject there, and am hoping that something is done about it when
someone finds the time. :-)

Carcharoth