[WikiEN-l] How to start a viable competitor to Wikipedia? Step 1 allow people to edit

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 19:42:20 UTC 2011

On 9 April 2011 13:00, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 April 2011 12:53, WereSpielChequers <werespielchequers at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Interestingly only Liberapedia and one of the conservative sites,
>> http://www.astorehouseofknowledge.info/Main_Page are actually open for
>> editing. Conservapedia  http://www.conservapedia.com/Main_Page
>> currently comes up as a 404 and
>> http://conservapedia.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page allows you to create an
>> account, but not to edit, not even to edit your own talkpage....
>

> 404 or 403? Conservapedia user TK (TK-CP on Wikipedia) had a programme
> of doing huge rangeblocks on entire countries, keeping them from even
> *viewing* the site. He passed away in December and since then it's
> been unlocked slightly, but I believe most or all of the UK is still
> under a rangeblock ...

I get this error:

"Forbidden

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to
use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

That looks like a 403, although it doesn't contain the number. The
mention of 404 is a reference to the error page not being found (so
using the server's default error page instead).

Blocking whole countries from viewing your website seems very
counter-productive to me...