[WikiEN-l] How to start a viable competitor to Wikipedia? Step 1 allow people to edit

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 12:00:18 UTC 2011

On 9 April 2011 12:53, WereSpielChequers <werespielchequers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Interestingly only Liberapedia and one of the conservative sites,
> http://www.astorehouseofknowledge.info/Main_Page are actually open for
> editing. Conservapedia  http://www.conservapedia.com/Main_Page
> currently comes up as a 404 and
> http://conservapedia.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page allows you to create an
> account, but not to edit, not even to edit your own talkpage....

404 or 403? Conservapedia user TK (TK-CP on Wikipedia) had a programme
of doing huge rangeblocks on entire countries, keeping them from even
*viewing* the site. He passed away in December and since then it's
been unlocked slightly, but I believe most or all of the UK is still
under a rangeblock ...

(Wiki failure mode: being so paranoid you block perceived enemies from
*looking* at your site.)

- d.