[WikiEN-l] cleaning up the Kosovo geographic names

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 19 09:45:19 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
>> I would like to point out that the "List of mountains in Serbia" and
>> "List of mountains in Kosovo" are again POV forks. They contain the
>> same data in different levels of quality. Additionally, the editors
>> refused to include to albanian names so that we can even find the
>> article. This is a problem with the wikipedia to allow such confusing
>> things to happen.
>>
>> People don't care if some editor recognizes kosovo or not, they just
>> want to know where the mountain is so they can go hiking or whatever.
>> we cannot allow every list to be a POV fork.
>>
>> Either we define the individual mountains as templates to be included
>> by both pages, or we include the kosovo list as a separate list on the
>> serbian list, or we remove the kosovo list items from the serbian
>> lists.
>>
>> We cannot have two lists of everything that have two POVs.
>>
>> thanks,
>> mike
>
> Even if we do have two lists, both names should be on both lists.

OK, but you do agree that it is against policy to have two lists of
the same content.

Serbia removed kosovo from the list of towns places in kosovo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities,_towns_and_villages_in_Serbia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_settlements_in_Serbia_%28alphabetic%29

They removed montengro from the list of mountains of serbia and montenegro.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mountains_in_Serbia_and_Montenegro

They are holding on the mountains of Kosovo, well after studying the
list, if they lose them, they will lose a lot of big mountains. I
guess it is an emotional issue of clinging, and I am prepared to leave
it for now, but my readings of the policy of wikipedia, it is clearly
a POV fork.

there are more of them to be found, and if we accept that, then it
will encourage even more forks in the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_place_names_in_Serbia

we can also make a list of Albanian place names in Serbia, list of
Albanian Mountain names in Serbia etc etc.
That might be the solution to the problem, at least they will be
found, which is my current problem, I just cannot find the articles
given the local names.

thanks,
mike