[WikiEN-l] Administrator coup / mass deletions

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 21 20:18:49 UTC 2010

Michel Vuijlsteke wrote:
> 2010/1/21 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>
>

>> Does anyone have a summary of the articles deleted in the present
>> blood-crazed axe frenzy? Is there a list up? And/or a description of
>> the general type of BLP deleted?
>>
>> I understand many were hardly-viewed articles with no edits in the
>> last six months. Which sounds innocuous enough, but remember that
>> [[John Seigenthaler]] was one of those until the subject noticed.
>>

> I don't get the entire controversy: is it not the case that only
> *statements* can be sourced, and not entire articles?
> Does that not mean that if  [[John Seigenthaler]] contained at least one
> <ref> at the time, it wouldn't have been affected by this?
>
> So why not go the whole hog and delete all BLPs where not every statement is
> sourced?

Nostalgia - so 2003. It's argument by reductio ad absurdum. Or by
negation of "soft security" - same thing really. Just because a measure
doesn't deal with 100% of a problem, doesn't mean we should be grateful
for the 80% it does deal with. Everything has to be invented and tried,
starting with [[Category:Living people]], to see if it can become part
of the solution.

Charles