[WikiEN-l] Why we need a good WYSIWYG editor

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 00:38:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> But most the rest of the markup we have is semantic. Every infobox and
> nav-box is semantic markup. Categories, etc.  All semantic. It's the

What would help here would be getting the "semantic markup" out of the edit
box. There's no reason infobox code needs to be edited in the same box as
the opening paragraph, it just creates spam. Likewise categories could be
edited entirely separately from the text. And adding navboxes etc. On en
Wikipedia at least, we're at the point where we can pretty much mandate
"infoboxes go at the top, navboxes go at the bottom, certain maintenance
templates go on talk pages", and use knowledge that to improve the editing
experience.

A well executed "hide the ugly code from newbies" edit box could also really
achieve a lot. When I get a moment I'd like to try out Magnus's code thingy.

Steve