[WikiEN-l] Why we need a good WYSIWYG editor

Stephen Streater sbstreater at mac.com
Mon Jan 4 22:14:47 UTC 2010

I tend to agree with GM here, and am generally opposed to a WYSIWYG
editor
for a widely read wiki.

For a start, HTML renderers will output different pixels for the same
source
- for example in the case of a partially sighted person who may have
bigger text,
or people like me who often read on a mobile phone with only 800x480
pixels.
The last thing I want is some style Nazi insisting on a 1024 pixel
wide window.

I also don't like the idea of style wars being carried into subtle
formatting issues.
If people want to customise the appearance of pages, this should be
done as
a post-processing stage, so all pages look "right" for each viewer.